Philanthropy at The Philadelphia Protestant Home
A group of Philadelphia Protestant clergymen called a meeting early in the spring of 1889 to consider the social needs of the day. They realized that there was a great need for housing and care for the aging men and women in their community. So, a general meeting was called on April 22, 1889, and The Philadelphia Protestant Home was founded.
PPh was incorporated on March 4, 1890 and welcomed its first 15 residents into a home in what is now called the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia, donated by a generous benefactor.
Before a year passed, accommodations became inadequate to meet growing demand. A larger home was purchased from donated funds, which they soon outgrew.
Meanwhile, a generous bequest from the Elizabeth Bergdoll, heir to the Bergdoll Brewery fortune, was received and the 13.5 acre farm in the Lawndale section of Philadelphia was purchased. On October 22, 1899, the cornerstone was laid, and the first structure of The Philadelphia Protestant Home was completed on November 23, 1899.
Today, The Philadelphia Protestant Home campus consists of three Independent living buildings, Midway Personal Care, and Pathways Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, all under one roof.
Throughout our history, PPh has been fortunate to be the beneficiary of many gifts, allowing us to provide quality care to seniors and benevolent (free) care to seniors who have outlived their resources.
Please click on the text below to download our annual report.