Why You Should Move Because You Want to, Not Because You Need To
We hear it all of the time from our current residents: They are very happy that they joined The Philadelphia Protestant Home (PPH) family, and their one regret is that they didn’t make the move sooner — in some cases, years sooner. Here is a short list of reasons why it’s a good idea to move because you want to, rather than because you need to.
- You have time to shop for the right community. If you are moving when you are healthy and have time to make your decision, you will have the freedom to shop around and choose the community you want. If you are moving because you are ill or in a crisis, you may have to rush into going someplace, and you won’t be able to choose the community that’s best for you — just the community that has an opening when you need it.
- Your move will go more smoothly. If you take your time and gradually downsize your belongings and fix up your house for sale, you are more likely to have a more stress-free move and get a better price for your home than if you have to rush into the decision because you or a spouse are ill.
- You will be able to live more independently. Most communities require some kind of a health examination by your doctor. If you move early, when you are still healthy, you will most likely pass the health checkup and be able to live in independent living. If you wait until you are older and have developed health conditions, you may have to move to a higher level of living.
- People who live in communities are happier and healthier. Studies have shown that people who live among a family of friends in communities stay healthier and happier longer. By moving earlier, you can take advantage of a wealth of opportunities to enhance your whole-person wellness and live a longer, more joy-filled life.
- You are doing your children a favor. As time goes on, wouldn’t it be nice to spend time with your kids and just enjoy each other, rather than having them come over and help you mow the lawn, shovel the walk and pay the bills? By making the decision for yourself now, you can control your own future, rather than leaving it up to someone else to make the decision.
- You will be able to shed responsibilities. All of the time-consuming chores that you’ve done for years — grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, mowing, home maintenance — you can set aside with a move to a community like PPH. Simply put, you can take time for you and start getting the most out of life.
Take the first step in moving because you want to, not because you have to. View our Virtual Information Series, a series of informative videos featuring tips and advice about making a move. Click here to watch our video series, or please give us a call at 215-697-8000 with any questions.